Are you one of many individuals who are alarmed with the sudden increase of your monthly electric bill due to using too much energy on your home heating and cooling system? Nowadays, most of the households are alarmed with their monthly utility bills. Heating and air conditioning are considered as necessities to keep everyone in the home comfortable.
If you are seeking for an answer to lessen your electric bills and energy consumption in the household, please continue reading.
Heating and Air Conditioning Tips at Home
- Family Meeting – Reducing the consumption of energy used for the heating and cooling system is a big decision to make, not for a single person, but for the entire family. Conduct a family meeting and raise your concern. Although it is a big change for the family, laying the concern on the table can help you and your family member understand and find solutions to solve the problem. This is a recommended step compared to keeping the problem to yourself.
- One at the time – Primarily, one of the problems why most families consume large amounts of energy, is they use the heating or air conditioning units at the same time. To lessen the energy cost, use only one heating and air conditioning at home, if the entire family wants to use the heating and cooling systems. For instance, if your child wants to play in the playroom, use a fan instead of the air conditioner. You may choose between a tower fan or a pedestal fan. There are websites that can help you decide better by listing down the differences of tower fans vs pedestal fans. Aesthetically, a tower fan may be the better choice, but as far as efficiency goes, a pedestal fan is the better option.
- Invest on home systems that are recognized as energy savers. The heating and cooling system of today’s technology are developed to save up to 20-30% of energy compared to old technologies. If you have heating and cooling systems that are not manufactured as energy saving system, you better replace it with energy saving units to prevent paying a high percentage of your monthly energy consumption for one system.
- Do quarterly or annually maintenance on your cooling and heating system. Another reason why you are paying too much money for energy is that your systems are not regularly cleaned and maintained. In addition, do not forget to replace filters when it becomes dirty. A dirty filter can cause the cooling and heating system to function poorly Better change more often, to avoid using too much energy and at the same time to save money.
- Another ideal method to save energy consumption aside from minimizing the usage of heating and cooling systems is by also controlling the amount of light and other electricity and water bills. Turn off lights when not in use and unplug items that are not in use. In this manner, you are not only saving energy, but can also lessen the total cost of your electric consumption.
- Do not rely too much on heating and cooling systems at home. If the heat is intolerable, open the windows and use fans as a substitute to cool you off. On the other hand, if the coldness is also non-endurable, drink hot coffee or tea, wear thick clothes and use warm blanket.
With this heating and air conditioning tips, you and your family are not going to be alarmed anymore, just make sure to follow the discussed above tips to decrease energy consumption and save money.